Want to check your EPF balance? Here’s how to do it in seconds
Want to check your EPF balance? Here’s how to do it in seconds | Photo credit: BCCL
- Members of the Employee Provident Organization (EPFO) can now check their PF balance online, by SMS or by missed call
- If a trust manages the EPF, then the employer must be contacted to check the balance of the contingency fund.
- UAN should be seeded with bank account, Aadhaar and PAN to verify PF balance
New Delhi: The pension fund, the Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO), a social security body run by the Indian government, manages the Employee Provident Fund (EPF). The EPF is a mandatory contribution from an individual’s salary that any organization with more than 20 employees must deduct. For many, EPF is the primary retirement savings option.
Contributions made to provident fund accounts are eligible for deduction from taxable income under Section 80C of the Income Tax Act. The interest rates on these contingency fund accounts are revised from time to time by the government. The EPFO allows users to easily consult their EPF balance and access other information relating to their provident account.
Here’s how to check the PF balance in seconds:
- SMS method: If your UAN is integrated with your KYC details, you can send an SMS to get your PF balance details. Type your text in the format: EPFOHO UAN ENG. Here the last three letters determine the preferred language which can be changed as needed. For example, HIN for Hindi, MAR for Marathi and TAM for the Tamil language. Send the SMS to the number 7738299899. You will receive the details of your PF balance.
- Missed call method: If your UAN is integrated with your KYC details, make a missed call to the prescribed toll-free number. Make a missed call on 011-22901406. Post the call, you will receive an SMS which will contain all the details of your PF account.
- Umang application method: Open the Umang application (Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance) and click EPFO. The member will be taken to a page that shows employee centric services. Click on “employee-centric services” which will direct the user to the page. Then click on “show passbook” and enter the UAN and one-time password (OTP), which the user will receive on the registered cell phone number. After that, the member will be able to check the EPF balance.
Check the PF balance through the EPFO website:
You can even check the balance of your Provident Fund (PF) account on the official EPFO website. You need to log into the official EPFO website – epfindia.gov.in. and click on the e-passbook link available at the top right of the portal.
You will be redirected to the EPF booklet page – passbook.epfindia.gov.in. Log in to the account by entering the username – also known as UAN or universal account number, and the password. The UAN is an identification number mentioned in the monthly payslip of each employee.
Once logged in, the relevant job details should be selected. For example, someone who has worked in three different organizations will have a choice of three different Member IDs. Select the member’s ID. Once a member ID is selected, the user can view the EPF e-booklet or the EPF booklet. The passbook indicates the balance of the EPF account.
How to check EPF balance check without UAN number:
Step 1: Login to the EPF homepage of epfindia.gov.in
2nd step: Click on “Click here to find out your EPF balance”
Step 3: You will be redirected to epfoservices.in/epfo/. Go to “Member Balance Information”
Step 4: Select your state and click on the link of your EPFO office
Step 5: Enter your PF account number, name and registered cell phone number
Step 6: Click on ‘Submit’ and your PF balance will be displayed.
It should be added that in order to check the PF balance you need to activate the UAN. The password will be sent to the mobile number. Note that subscribers can only check the PF balance six hours after activating the UAN.